Panasonic announces host of firmware updates for its LUMIX S and G Series cameras
4th November 2020 – Panasonic has today announced the release of firmware update programs for its LUMIX S and G Series cameras, which will be available free of charge. Panasonic continues to follow its philosophy and implement advanced technology developments not only to new products but also to those already released and improve existing models via firmware update.
Available to download on 24th November 2020, the latest firmware updates will be available for S1H, S1R, S1, S5 as well as G100.
Additionally, a further firmware update (v2.0) will be available for LUMIX S1 in 2021 to enhance its functions and performance.
Firmware Update Improvements for LUMIX S Series
S1, S1R and S1H will inherit the improved autofocus technology and performance of the new LUMIX S5. In addition to the eye, face and body now the head is separately recognised by real-time detection technology. The camera keeps tracking the person even if they move quickly, turn their head or back to the camera, tilt their head or move far away. Additionally, improvements to the DFD technology have enhanced the continuous autofocus (AFC), which enables users to keep tracking small or fast-moving subjects. The AF-advancements are available for both photo shooting and video recording.
In addition, the firmware updates also include:
- Human/Animal recognition is available in [1-Area] and [1-Area+] AF mode
- [AF+MF] mode can be used during video recording
- AF-Recognition during V-Log-recording has been improved (S1H/S1/S5)
- [SS/Gain Operation] function has been added to S1R, S1 and S5
- A recording indication frame [Red REC Frame Indicator] has been added to S1R and S1
- Vertical video playback has been added to S1H, S1R and S1
- 4K video files can now be transferred to a smartphone via Wi-Fi (S1H/S1R/S1)
- The monitors of S1H and S5 now can display the images flipped when the free-angle LCDs are rotated and [Horizontal Image Flip(Monitor)] / [Vertical Image Flip(Monitor)] are activated.
- 5K video recording has been added to S1R 2
- 10-bit HDR video recording has been added to S1R [Like 2100/HLG]
- High-Resolution audio recording and dedicated menu settings for the DMW-XLR1 microphone adaptor have been added to S1R 3
- The [Luminance Level] function in S1R now supports 10-bit recording
- 4K 60P/50P 4:2:2 10-bit video output over HDMI has been added to S1R.
- C4K (4096×2160) video has been added to S5 4
- [5.9K] / [4K] / [Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW Video Data output over HDMI has been added to S5. Also Apple ProRes RAW can be recorded on Atomos NINJA V (S5)5
- Vector Scope display has been added to S5
- Master Pedestal Level has been added to S5
- [L.ClassicNeo] and [L.Monochrome S] Photo Styles have been added to S5
Further Updates for LUMIX S1 in the First Half of 2021
To meet the demands of users, the LUMIX S1 will continue to evolve. With firmware 2.0, the user will be able to manually switch the Dual Native ISO settings. As well as V-Log recording, further enhancements will be available with the purchase of DMW-SFU26, including an anamorphic mode and timecode function, in addition to 5.9K/C4K and 4K60/50p 4:2:0 10bit internal video recording and 5.9K/4K/Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K 12-bit RAW video data recording over HDMI on an Atomos Ninja V.7
Firmware Update Improvements for LUMIX G Series
LUMIX G100 now has compatibility to the LUMIX Webcam Software (Beta) with firmware version 1.1. In addition, the G100 monitor can now display the images flipped when the free-angle LCD is rotated and [Horizontal Image Flip(Monitor)] / [Vertical Image Flip(Monitor)] is activated.
- 1 If no model is indicated, the improvement applies to S1H, S1R, S1 and S5.
- 2 MOV-container, 4992×3744 Pixel, 30p/25p/24p, 4.2:0 10-bit, LongGOP, 200 Mbps, LPCM audio
- 3 MOV only
- 4 60p/50p, 4:2:0, 8-bit, LongGOP, 150Mbps; 30p/25p/24p, 4:2:2, 10-bit, LongGOP, 150Mbps; 30p/25p/24p, 4:2:0, 8-bit, LongGOP, 100Mbps. All LPCM audio.
- 5 All functions may not be available depending on the situation. Software that supports Apple ProRes RAW is required to edit RAW video recorded with NINJA V. Apply the LUT(Look up table ) available on the following customer supports site to make the same color grading as V-Log/V-Gamut. https://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/lut/s1h_raw_lut/
- 6 A Software Upgrade Key DMW-SFU2 (sold separately) is required to activate V-Log/MOV-function. Users who already have DMW-SFU2 installed do not need to purchase DMW-SFU2 again.
- 7 5.9K(5888×3312) 29.97p/25p, 4K(4128×2176) 59.94p/50p, Anamorphic 3.5K(3536×2656)/50p
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5, S1, S1R, S1H and G100
Images courtesy of Panasonic Australia.
- B&H – Atomos Ninja V 5″ 4K HDMI Recording Monitor
- B&H – L-mount lenses
- B&H – Panasonic Lumix DC-S1 Mirrorless Digital Camera
- B&H – Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Mirrorless Digital Camera
- B&H – Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Mirrorless Digital Camera
- B&H – Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Mirrorless Digital Camera
- Lumix Experience – Panasonic announces host of firmware updates for its LUMIX S and G Series cameras