“Tokyo, September 12, 2019 — FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) announced that it will launch the “FUJIFILM X-A7” (“X-A7”) in Autumn 2019, a new addition to the X Series of compact and lightweight mirrorless digital camera that deliver outstanding image quality with the company’s unique color reproduction technology.
Weighing just 320g*, stylish X-A7 carries a newly-developed 24.24MP APS-C sensor to deliver premium image quality with the company’s proprietary color reproduction technology. The sensor uses copper wiring to enable high-speed data readout, and features phase detection pixels across the entire sensor surface to enhance AF speed and accuracy. This enables AF tracking of a moving subject as well as Face / Eye detection AF with ease. The camera also records smooth 4K/30fps video and high-speed video, catering to the ever-growing need for high-quality video for use in Vlog** and other media.
The camera has a large 3.5-inch LCD monitor with the maximum luminous intensity of approx. 1,000 candelas to guarantee intuitive operability on the rear panel. Furthermore, this is the first X Series model that features a “vari-angle” monitor that users can adjust to any angles. It can be used in conjunction with the Portrait Enhancer Mode for self-portraits of advanced quality. The X-A7 is a perfect choice for those who want to upgrade their photography from smartphone pictures, offering a broad range of applications from casual snapshots of everyday scenes to travel photography and full-fledged photographic creations.
*Including the weight of memory card and supplied battery
**A coined phrase combining “video” and “blog,” referring to a blog in the video format…”
At least three developments in Fujifilm’s entry-level viewfinder-less LCD-only X-A7 camera promise good things coming to the company’s higher-end models – a fully-articulated LCD monitor, phase-detection pixels across the whole sensor and apparently radically improved object tracking as well as improved eye and face autofocusing.
I have been asking for fully-articulating LCD monitors on all Fujifilm cameras ever since I had to take a detour away from the company’s products when it delivered an X-Pro1 that was, for me at least, semi-usable at best with its lack of built-in viewfinder diopter correction, and when I needed to shoot pro-quality video.
I chose Panasonic with its fully-articulated monitors on the Lumix DMC-GH4, its companion camera the Lumix DMC-GX8 and subsequent cameras in both product lines as well as others, and instantly discovered the many benefits such LCD monitors bestow whether shooting stills or video.
Going back to fixed monitor cameras suddenly became all the harder, and the fixed, two-way or three-way tilting monitors that then began appearing on Fujifilm, Panasonic cameras and Blackmagic Design cameras proved to be annoying and even inadequate for many of my needs.
Fujifilm refers to the X-A7’s LCD monitor as “vari-angle” or capitalized as “Vari-Angle” while online commentators use the fairly non-descriptive word “flippy”, but I am sticking with the more description term “fully-articulated”.
Fujifilm, I want to see you release the much-requested X-H2 professional-level video and stills photography hybrid camera with a fully-articulated aka “vari-angle” LCD monitor as well as all future cameras.
I know what full articulation can do and I want it on more than just your entry-level camera.
Fujifilm X-A7 with Fujifilm’s very first fully-articulated aka “flippy” aka “vari-angle” LCD monitor
- DPReview – DPReview TV: Fujifilm X-A7 Preview – video – “On paper the Fujifilm X-A7 appears to address many of its predecessor’s shortcomings, but do those improvements add up to a better real-world experience? Chris and Jordan head to Calgary’s awe-inspiring, fire-breathing Beakerhead festival to get a feel for how it handles.”
- Fuji Rumors – DPRTV Fujifilm X-A7 Review: Better Face/Eye Detection than Fujifilm X-T3 and Hope for Fujifilm X-H2 with Flippy Screen – “Jordan is happy to finally have a flippy screen, and hopes it will come also on the Fujifilm X-H2.”
- Fujifilm Global – Fujifilm introduces the stylish “FUJIFILM X-A7” with newly-developed image sensor
Help support ‘Untitled’
- FUJIFILM X-A7 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm Lens (Camel) – B&H
- FUJIFILM X-A7 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm Lens (Dark Silver) – B&H
- FUJIFILM X-A7 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm Lens (Mint Green) – B&H
- FUJIFILM X-A7 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm Lens (Silver) – B&H
- FUJIFILM XC 15-45mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS PZ Lens – B&H
- FUJIFILM XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS II Lens – B&H
- FUJIFILM XC 50-230mm f/4.5-6.7 OIS II Lens – B&H