“Paul takes a first look at the Panasonic S1H. Is this simply a full frame GH5S or is there more to this DSLM? Perfect camera for vloggers or a real cinema competitor?”
Things have been quiet over at Panasonic Australia it seems since the release of the Lumix DC-GH5 and I have not heard a sound from the company’s PR people, so have not had any extended hands-on time with the Lumix DC-GH5S, Lumix DC-G9, Lumix DC-GX9, Lumix DC-S1, Lumix DC-SiR or the recently released Lumix DC-S1H.
So I am grateful for Paul of extrashot for this first look at the S1H, especially in the light of Netflix certifying the camera for use in Netflix 4K Originals productions.
I look forward to more in-depth reviews of the camera for use in movie productions appearing soon.
Panasonic’s longtime weak point has been its depth-from-defocus (DFD) Contrast Detection Auto Focus (CDAF) system that many users would prefer was actually Phase Detection Auto Focus (PDAF), but is this a big problem given potential users of the Lumix DC-S1H are more likely to use manual focus with it, as illustrated in the product shot above?
- Cinema5D – Panasonic S1H Review – Is it the Best Full Frame Mirrorless Camera for Filmmakers yet?
- Darry Carey – Top Accessories for the Panasonic LUMIX S1H – video
- DPPreview – Netflix certifies the Panasonic S1H for productions, making it the smallest (and only stills/video) camera on the list
- DPReview – DPReview TV: Panasonic S1H First Look – “Jordan takes a first look at the new Panasonic S1H and wrestles with the moral struggle of cheating on his beloved GH5. Click below to download some ungraded sample clips from the S1H, including 6K footage.” – video
- EOSHD – Panasonic S1H becomes first and only mirrorless camera to be approved by Netflix – “same league” as Alexa LF
- extrashot – Panasonic S1H – Amazing cinema camera or DSLM? – video
- Leeming LUT Pro – “Leeming LUT Pro™ is the world’s first unified, corrective Look Up Table ( LUT ) system for supported cameras, designed to maximise dynamic range, fix skin tones, remove unwanted colour casts and provide an accurate Rec709 starting point for further creative colour grading.” – some reviewers have been commenting adversely upon the skin tones rendered by Panasonic’s S-Series and GH-Series cameras, but applying Leeming LUT Pro restores excellent colour to their video output. Paul Leeming is currently working on LUTs for S-Series Panasonic cameras so keep on eye his website.
- Netflix – Cameras and Image Capture: Approved Cameras
- Netflix – CAMERA PRODUCTION GUIDE | Panasonic S1H – PDF
Help support ‘Untitled’
- Atomos Store – B&H
- L-Mount Lenses – B&H – native mount lenses for Leica, Panasonic and Sigma mirrorless cameras.
- Panasonic DMW-BGS1 Battery Grip – B&H
- Panasonic DMW-BLJ31 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery (7.2V, 3100mAh) – B&H
- Panasonic DMW-RS2 Remote Shutter – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only) – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Mirrorless Digital Camera Filmmaker’s Kit – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Mirrorless Digital Camera with Camera Cage Kit – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix S 24-105mm f/4 Macro O.I.S. Lens – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix S PRO 24-70mm f/2.8 Lens – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix S PRO 50mm f/1.4 Lens – B&H
- SHAPE Camera Cage with Top Handle for Panasonic Lumix S1/S1R/S1H – B&H
- Zacuto Camera Cage for Panasonic S1 – B&H
- Zacuto Store – B&H