Since this article was written quite some time ago, Leeming LUT One has been updated and improved many times with support for the Panasonic Lumix GH5’s new Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) added in a recent update.
You may wish to read those more recent articles by typing “Leeming LUT” into this website’s search box.
Cinematographer/director Paul Leeming has released version 405 of Leeming LUT One for the Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Micro Four Thirds Super 16 stills/video hybrid camera and he has nailed it in obtaining the best video tone, colour and dynamic range of which the camera’s sensor is capable. Leeming LUT One version 405 for the GH5 comes in two versions, one for Cinelike D and one for V-LogL.
Mr Leeming also supplies a GH5 monitoring LUT, LL1_V40x.vlt, for viewing the corrected colour and tonal range in camera, or an external monitor or monitor/recorder such as those made by Atomos, Blackmagic Design, Convergent Design, SmallHD, Video Devices and others.
Mr Leeming’s recommended settings whether using Cinelike D or V-LogL in combination with expose-to-the-right (ETTR) making shooting great footage an attractive possibility for GH5 owners including those less experienced in grading now that version 4.0.5 of the Leeming LUT One for the GH5 is available.
Shot on GH5 with V-LogL, Leeming LUT One version 405 for V-Log applied, no looks LUTs, before and after
Shot on GH5 with Cinelike D, Leeming LUT One version 405 for Cinelike D applied, no looks LUTs, before and after
Add the current generation of LUT-savvy NLEs, plug-ins and colour grading suites into the mix and getting the best out of the GH5’s Rec. 709 Cinelike D or flat logarithmic V-LogL footage is the easiest it has ever been.
Another benefit of Mr Leeming’s effort to create a version of Leeming LUT One for every popular video-shooting camera upon which he can lay his hands upon is ease of colour matching footage from a range of cameras used in the same project.
Using a mix of cameras, sensors and thus native colour science has become common but colour matching footage without benefit of a tool like Leeming LUT One is a time-consuming chore better spent elsewhere.
I look forward to Mr Leeming releasing versions of Leeming LUT One for other cameras that I use to shoot video, soon.
Testing the GH5 Cinelike D Leeming LUT One with Lumix GX8 Cinelike D footage
Panasonic’s Lumix DMC-GX8 rangefinder-style is one of my favourite cameras for shooting stills and video, and is favoured by other moviemakers like documentary cinematographer Rick Young of Movie Machine.
The GX8’s sensor has been described by some as between those in the GH4 and the GH5 in quality and colour response. Paul Leeming is working on a version of Leeming LUT One for the GX8, and tells me that it may work well with his GH5 Cinelike D Leeming LUT One.
I tried it out during an overcast late autumn day and here are the results. I applied some looks LUTs from the Leeming LUT Quickies free collection to some of these screenshots, on top of the GH5 Leeming LUT for Cinelike D.
- Blackmagic Design – DaVinci Resolve 14
- Color Grading Central – Color Finale
- Color Grading Central – LUT Utility
- CoreMelt – LUTx
- CoreMelt – NAB 2017 Presentations: Chromatic Color Grading Plugin
- Leeming LUT One
- MotionVFX – mLUT Plugin
- Panasonic USA – LUMIX V-Log L Function Firmware Upgrade Kit DMW-SFU1 DMW-SFU1-VLOG
- Panasonic USA – NEW! LUMIX GH5 4K Mirrorless ILC Camera Body with 20.3 Megapixels, 4K 60p & 4:2:2 10-bit Internal, Dual Image Stabilization 2, & WiFi + Bluetooth
- Pixel Film Studios – FCPX LUT Loader
- Visceral Psyche
- Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success – Leeming LUT One for Panasonic GH5 V-Log L and Cinelike D is Soon to be Updated to Version 501
Header image concept and hack by Carmel D. Morris. Still frames from Panasonic Lumix GH5 V-Log L footage kindly supplied by Paul Leeming.
Help support ‘Untitled’
Clicking on these affiliate links helps us continue our work for ‘Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success’.
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera (Body Only) – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 8-18mm Lens Kit – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 12-35mm Lens Kit – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 12-60mm Lens – B&H
- Panasonic DMW-BGGH5 Battery Grip – B&H
- Panasonic V-Log L Function Activation Code for DMC-GH4, DC-GH5, and DMC-FZ2500 – B&H
- Atomos Ninja Inferno 7″ 4K HDMI Recording Monitor and accessories – B&H