NOTE: Since this article was written some time ago, Leeming LUT One has been updated and improved again with version 502.
You may wish to read this more recent article here:
- Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success – Paul Leeming’s Leeming LUT One for the Panasonic GH5 Now at Version 502 for HLG, V-Log L and Cinelike D – UPDATED
Australian cinematographer/director Paul Leeming is about to issue the latest update to his unified corrective LUT (Look Up Table) system for a range of popular hybrid mirrorless and DSLR cameras and camcorders, Leeming LUT One, with first camera to receive the version 501 update for V-Log L and Cinelike D being the Panasonic Lumix GH5.
The Leeming LUT One system was developed in order to help cinematographers obtain the best image quality from their cameras by providing custom settings and LUTs to maximize dynamic range while minimizing noise and other artefacts such as banding and YUV chroma smearing.
Mr Leeming has produced Leeming LUT One custom settings and LUTs for cameras including those made by Canon, DJI, GoPro, JVC, Panasonic, Sony with potential support for cameras made by Digital Bolex and Samsung should there be enough demand.
Selected still-frames from GH5 V-Log L footage
The GH5’s 10-bit 4:2:2 colour and V-Log L really come into their own when shooting long dynamic range subjects and especially those containing whites as below. The GH5’s expose-to-the-right enabling exposure zebras are also an asset in setting optimum exposure and one that Fujifilm, for instance, can learn from.
More GH5 V-Log L still frames processed with Leeming LUT One version 501
Mr Leeming has not notified us of when to expect the version 501 Leeming LUT One update for the Panasonic Lumix GH5 but we will report here at ‘Untitled’ when it becomes available.
- Leeming LUT One
- Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success – How to Make the X-T2 a Credible Filmmaking Camera, A Letter to Fujifilm from Paul Leeming
- Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success – Paul Leeming’s Leeming LUT One for Panasonic GH5 Now at Version 405 for Cinelike D and V-Log L
Header image concept and hack by Carmel D. Morris. Still frames from Panasonic Lumix GH5 V-Log L footage kindly supplied by Paul Leeming.
Help support ‘Untitled’
Clicking on these affiliate links helps us continue our work for ‘Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success’.
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera (Body Only) – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 8-18mm Lens Kit – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 12-35mm Lens Kit – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 12-60mm Lens – B&H
- Panasonic DMW-BGGH5 Battery Grip – B&H
- Panasonic V-Log L Function Activation Code for DMC-GH4, DC-GH5, and DMC-FZ2500 – B&H
- Atomos Ninja Inferno 7″ 4K HDMI Recording Monitor and accessories – B&H