Chinese lens, lights and accessories maker Viltrox appears to have successfully reverse-engineered Fujifilm’s lens-to-camera communications protocol and recently released its first X-Mount autofocus prime lens for Fujifilm X cameras, the Viltrox PFU RBMH 85MM F1.8 STM telephoto.
According to reports from Fuji Rumors, the next three Viltrox X-mount cabs off the rank, as it were, will be 23mm f/1.4, 33mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.4 autofocus prime lenses and I am hoping for more after that.
I am also hoping that Viltrox will come up with other focal lengths useful in documentary cinematography and photography, such as those equivalent to 21mm, 28mm, 75mm and 105mm in the 35mm sensor format.
Fujifilm does not appear to be in any hurry to update its ageing and quirky Fujinon XF 18mm f/2.0 prime lens, equivalent to the documentary-essential 28mm focal length, and there is no sign on the Fujifilm X-mount lens roadmap of the documentary and portrait-essential focal length of 70mm, that is, 105mm in the 35mm sensor format.
Early reviews of the Viltrox PFU RBMH 85MM F1.8 STM prime lens note that it may not be as sharp or have as much micro-contrast and resolution as Fujifilm’s own X-mount lenses, but given Viltrox’s much lower prices and the fact that many cinematographers do not need nor want maximum sharpness in their lenses, a matched set of Viltrox prime lenses may be very attractive for some.
Why else would Canon’s also optically-quirky and poorly-manufactured Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM kit zoom lens have proven to be popular amongst cinematographers whether adapted or not, despite better-designed and better-made alternatives such as Sigma’s 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art lens for Canon EF or two other Canon alternatives such as the Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens and the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM kit zoom?
I happily used the 24-105mm f/4L IS USM kit zoom that came with my Canon EOS 5D Mark II for some applications in cinematography and photography until it fell apart just after its warranty expired, and hope to be using this lens again soon, when it is finally repaired, this time mated to my Fujifilm cameras via an EF-to-X adapter.
- Fuji Rumors – NEW Images of Viltrox 23mm f/1.4, 33mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lenses for Fujifilm X
- Fuji Rumors – Viltrox 23, 33 and 56mm f/1.4 Fujifilm X Mount Coming December 2019 with Seriously Aggressive Price Tag
- Fuji Rumors – Viltrox 85mm f/1.8 Fuji X Mount Autofocus Lens Review Roundup
- News Shooter – Fotodiox Canon to FUJIFILM X Smart Autofocus Adapter – Matthew Allard reviews a new EF-t0-X-mount adapter by Fotodiox and lists other alternative brand adapters including those made by Fringer, Kipon and Viltrox.
- Shewolffilms – website – Screenwriter/Director/Producer Emily Skye uses a Viltrox EF-to-M43-mount smart optical adapter when using Canon lenses on her Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 camera.
- Viltrox – website