“Accurate Transmittance and true neutrality TRUE ND is a clear glass coated with metallic alloy film on both sides. Manufactured under strict quality control, TRUE ND will offer you accurate transmittance and true neutrality. Troublesome infrared will also be filtered out by its flat spectral curve up to 750nm. TRUE ND is simply how ND filters are supposed to be….”
I have been researching possible solutions for the infrared pollution problem inherent in Blackmagic Design’s cinema cameras which have little to no built-in protection against it, especially the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K aka BMPCC 4K.
So far there appears to be three different most viable solutions – IR cut filters mounted on the camera itself, screw-on IR cut filters to go on the front of the lens and IR plus ND (neutral density) filters screwed-on or mounted in front of the lens.
I have ruled out small IR plus ND filters mounted on the back or camera side of the lens as they are difficult to use and swap without getting dirty when in the field shooting documentary video though they may be more viable under controlled on-location or studio conditions.
It appears that some makers of ND filters do add IR cutting to their filters and some do not, complicating things just a little.
As I come across different brands of IR cut solutions I plan on adding them as link articles like this one.
My preferred IR-cut plus ND solution is either an IR-cut filter on the camera itself or as fixed or variable ND filters on the front of the lens.
As a self-funded independent documentary moviemaker affordability is key but I do not wish to sacrifice quality or portability.
- Blackmagic Design – Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
- Mitomo – True ND – “Manufactured under strict quality control, TRUE ND will offer you accurate transmittance and true neutrality. Troublesome infrared will also be filtered out by its flat spectral curve up to 750nm. TRUE ND is simply how ND filters are supposed to be.”
- Mitomo – True ND catalog – PDF
Header image concept and hack by Carmel D. Morris.
Help support ‘Untitled’
Clicking on these affiliate links and purchasing through them helps us continue our work for ‘Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success’.
- Blackmagic Design Mini XLR Cable for Video Assist/4K, Set of 2, 19.5″, HYPERD/AXLRMINI2 – B&H
- Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K – B&H
- DJI Ronin-S – B&H
- G-Technology G-DRIVE R-Series USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C mobile SSD, 500GB, 1Tb or 2TB – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens – B&H – highly-recommended professional-quality standard zoom lens with manual clutch focus.
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO Lens – B&H – excellent travel zoom with longer reach though slower fixed maximum aperture, and manual clutch focus for accurate and repeatable manual focussing.
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 17mm f/1.2 PRO Lens – B&H – this and the 25mm and 45mm f/1.2 prime lenses below are highly recommended as top-quality, fast lenses for video production with manual clutch focus for accurate and repeatable manual focussing.
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.2 PRO Lens – B&H
- Sachtler System FSB 4 Fluid Head with Sideload Plate, Flowtech 75 Carbon Fiber Tripod with Mid-Level Spreader and Rubber Feet – B&H
- Samsung T5 Portable Solid-State Drive, 250GB, 500Gb, 1TB or 2TB – B&H