“… The ‘Be Alpha’ campaign will also feature programs that are designed to foster growth in both the current and next generations of imaging professionals, the most notable of which being the flagship ‘Alpha Female’ program. This multi-tiered, female exclusive program is Sony’s thoughtful response to the imaging industry’s well-documented diversity challenges. It will include a variety of grants and mentorship opportunities for female photographers and videographers, as well as the production of several large-scale industry events. Additional details to be released soon….”
Details about Sony’s coming ‘Alpha Female’ program thread of the ‘Be Alpha’ campaign have yet to appear online but this is the very first time to my knowledge that any camera maker has done anything to address the huge imbalance in opportunities for and representation of female photographers and moviemakers.
It is likely that concrete information about the ‘Alpha Female’ program and the ‘Alpha Female’ photographers and moviemakers involved in it will begin appearing during the ‘Be Alpha’ campaign launch event on August 19th, World Photography Day, in New York City.
I hope that the ‘Alpha Female’ program will be a beacon to all aspiring and established female photographers and moviemakers everywhere, not just limited to the USA, and inspire all camera and other hardware manufacturing companies to make a real change for the better.
Coverage of Sony products, as well as those by Canon and Nikon, has been sporadic here at ‘Untitled’ but Sony’s ‘Alpha Female’ program as well as the other two camera makers’ coming high-end mirrorless cameras are incentive to try to persuade all three brands to assist us in writing about their products with firsthand experience.
Another such incentive is Australian cinematographer/director Paul Leeming’s creation of Sony and Canon inclusive Leeming LUT Pro, “the world’s first unified, corrective Look Up Table (LUT) system for supported cameras, designed to maximise dynamic range, fix skin tones, remove unwanted colour casts and provide an accurate Rec709 starting point for further creative colour grading”.
“Multi-camera shoots are now much easier, because you are starting with a common, colour-matched baseline, meaning much less time trying to match cameras in post before starting your creative grading. Once all your cameras have been corrected, you can optionally use the specially matched Leeming LUT Quickies™ for a one-touch creative grade designed to work seamlessly with the common baseline of Leeming LUT Pro™ corrected footage.”
- Alpha Universe – Artisans of Imagery – 7 female artisans out of a total of 39 as at Thursday August 16, 2018.
- Alpha Universe – Be Alpha
- B&H Explora – 7 Ways to Accessorize Your Sony Camera
- Dave Burnett – Photojournalist David Burnett, and his move from Canon to Sony – video
- PetaPixel – Photographer David Burnett Switches to Sony After 40 Years of Canon
- Sony USA – Sony Celebrates No. 1 Overall Position in U.S. Full-frame Cameras with Launch of Historic “Be Alpha” Campaign
- World Photo Day – “Founded in 2009 by Australian photographer, Korske Ara, World Photo Day has taken over 7 years to grow into the global photography celebration it is today…. In 2016, World Photo Day reached a global social audience of 500 million people around the world, inspiring photographers around the world to share their stories.”
Help support ‘Untitled’
Clicking on these affiliate links and purchasing through them helps us continue our work for ‘Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success’.
- Sigma Art Lenses for Sony E-Mount cameras – B&H
- Sony 128GB M Series UHS-II SDXC Memory Card Kit (2-Pack) – B&H
- Sony Alpha a7 III Mirrorless Digital Camera – B&H
- Sony Alpha a7R III Mirrorless Digital Camera – B&H
- Sony Alpha a7S II Mirrorless Digital Camera – B&H
- Sony Alpha a99 II DSLR Camera (Body Only) – B&H
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R II Digital Camera – B&H
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV Digital Camera – B&H
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VI Digital Camera – B&H
- Sony E-Mount mirrorless lenses – B&H
- Sony SLR lenses – B&H
- Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Lens – B&H