Panasonic drew back the curtains today at CES 2018 in Las Vegas on one of the most controversial cameras of the last twelve months, one the existence of which has been hotly debated and even more hotly denied by potential buyers right up to the moment Panasonic’s curtain-puller really started itching to pull the strings to revealed the company’s available darkness cinematic video-shooting genius, the Lumix DC-GH5S, to all the world.
As we have been preoccupied with serious health matters here at ‘Untitled’, we will be doing some catching up with our research into and coverage of the Panasonic Lumix GH5S over the next several days, but for now here are some lists of links to articles, press releases and videos about the camera and its pros and cons.
We will be adding further material as it appears and will add our own commentary as appropriate.
FYI, “unstable” refers to the GH5S’ controversial lack of in-body image stabilization aka IBIS and “genius” relates to the GH5S’ apparent low-light video capabilities.
Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5S
Apologies to my many female readers for the very real impression given by the links below that new product releases and trade shows like CES are “boys’ clubs” aka “sausage fests” aka “sausage parties” just like the movie and television industries themselves.
That is the reality of media production in all its forms worldwide as well as the usual situation for female brand ambassadors, moviemakers, product reviewers and members of the press both traditional and digital.
I have heard that there are signs things are changing but those days cannot come fast enough.
Meanwhile many thanks to Panasonic Australia and its press relations consultants and staff members for all their kind assistance with assets for use in these articles.
- 4/3 Rumors
- Camera Jabber – Panasonic Lumix GH5S Hands-On Review
- Camera Jabber – Panasonic GH5S vs GH5: Key Specs Compared
- Cameralabs – Panasonic Lumix GH5S preview
- cinema5D – Panasonic GH5S Footage – Shooting a Mini Documentary
- DPReview – Panasonic announces Lumix DC-GH5S, an even more video-focused GH5
- DPReview – Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5S First Impressions Review
- DPReview – Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5S vs Sony a7S II low light shootout
- Digital Trends – Panasonic Lumix GH5S hands-on review – “…if video is your thing, we expect the GH5S may be the best sub-$3,000 camera out there, and it even gives more expensive cameras a serious run for their money.”
- EOSHD – Panasonic GH5S brings massive low light improvement – exclusive interview and hands-on – “… the GH4 and GH5 were being used regularly on [a] big budget TV shows like The Grand Tour (Amazon Prime) rigged inside supercars and racing cars and here the vibration was playing havoc with the sprung IBIS sensor in the GH5.”
- ePHOTOzine – Panasonic Lumix GH5S Hands-On Review
- ePHOTOzine – Panasonic Lumix GH5S Vs Panasonic Lumix GH5 Comparison
- Fuji Rumors – And Now Panasonic Explains What’s Not so Good with IBIS… but I am Looking Forward to the Fujifilm X-H1 with IBIS Anyway 🙂
- Imaging Resource – Panasonic GH5S Review
- Jacob James – 4:17 AM – Panasonic Lumix GH5S Review
- Lumix G Experience – Overview of the Technical Features of the Lumix DC-GH5s
- Mirrorless Comparison – The 10 Main Differences Between the Panasonic Lumix GH5 and GH5S
- Mystery Box – Panasonic GH5S & Shooting HDR10
- News Shooter – CES 2018: Panasonic brings lowlight and dual ISO to GH5S making it a cinema making machine
- Noam Kroll – First Impressions Of The Lumix GH5S For Filmmaking & Why I Would Stick With The Original GH5
- Personal View – Panasonic GH5S GH5 S, 4K Video Edition
- Philip Bloom – One Step Forward, Two Steps Back? Panasonic Launch the GH5S
- Photography Blog – Panasonic LUMIX GH5S Review
- Photography Life – Lens Stabilization vs In-camera Stabilization – great article about the essential differences between the two forms of stabilization
- Wex – Panasonic LUMIX GH5S vs GH5 – The Differences You Need to Know – one of the best quick overview articles on the differences between the two cameras
- Panasonic Australia – Panasonic LUMIX GH5S for the video professional: Introducing Dual Native ISO for impressive low-light performance
- Panasonic UK – Panasonic Announces the Ultimate Hybrid CSC with a newly developed 10.2MP High sensitivity Live MOS sensor
- Panasonic USA – Panasonic Announces the Ultimate Hybrid DSLM with a newly developed 10.2MP High Sensitivity MOS sensor
- Panasonic Australia – DCGH5S
- Panasonic USA – LUMIX GH5s C4K Mirrorless ILC Camera Body with 10.2 Megapixel High Sensitivity MOS Sensor, C4K 60p & 4:2:2 10-bit Internal, & WiFi + Bluetooth – DC-GH5S
- 4K – Was Panasonic GH5s really necessary? GH5 Wien 2018 New Year – Holiday Cinematic diary Video – “I used only natural light during the day and street light on night [with GH5 and not GH5S], and qualitatively the result it’s amazing (IMHO). “
- Ali Kubba – Panasonic Lumix GH5S LOW LIGHT 4K 50P Native ISO 2500 | Visual Matrix Steel Wool
- Ali Kubba – Panasonic Lumix GH5S LOW LIGHT + C4K 60P SLOW MOTION VFR | Challenge Yourself
- Ali Kubba – Panasonic Lumix GH5S LOW LIGHT + C4K 60P SLOW MOTION VFR | Imagine
- Atomos Video – GH5s and Atomos Ninja Inferno – First steps in the dark (all shot 3200 and 6400 ISO)
- Atomos Video – Ungraded V-Log GH5S and Atomos Ninja Inferno 3200 and 6400 ISO footage – First steps in the dark – “Ungraded V-Log DCI 4K ProRes 422 footage from a pre-production GH5S and Atomos Ninja Inferno.” – great for trying out your own grade but beware that file size is 9GB ***
- Atypical Studio – 4:17 AM – short feature shot in available darkness
- B and H – Hands-On Review | Panasonic Lumix GH5S
- Bernard Bertrand – GH5S hands-on in lowlight- 4K -Dual ISO – There is a new sheriff in town
- CVPTV – Kai Introducing Panasonic GH5S
- cinema5D – Panasonic GH5S Footage – a Mini Documentary
- cinema5D – Panasonic GH5S Video Hands-On – Highlights of the New Camera
- cinema5D – Panasonic GH5S vs. GH5 Low-Light SHOOTOUT!
- cinema5D – The Man Behind the Panasonic GH5S – “An interview with Yosuke Yamane-san – the head of imaging at Panasonic and a key person behind the newly announced Panasonic GH5S – about the new camera and beyond.”
- CRFTSHO – The GH5s is here – New Year for creative ideas, Alexa XT, who needs IBIS? say yes to the gh5s
- CyberPhoto AB – Panasonic GH5S test (English subs)
- CyberPhoto AB – Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5S
- Darryl Carey – New firmware for the GH5S – testing face and eye detection mode – “A quick test of the new firmware V1.0 on the GH5S and the GH5 with the latest firmware. To see how fast to can lock on to the face when walking in and out of frame.”
- digiDIRECT – Panasonic GH5S – Hands-On First Look and Low Light Tests
- DPReview – Panasonic GH5S vs Sony a7S II low light comparison by DPReview.com
- extrashot – Panasonic GH5S – First hands on review & test footage
- Ferdinand Klein – FIRST Panasonic GH5s Ronin M Low Light Footage | Leica | FullHD NEW
- finalcutproes – Interview with Panasonic’s adviser Uematsu-san about LUMIX GH5s – “Recently we had the opportunity and pleasure to chat with M. Uematsu-san, who for many years has been working at Panasonic and who today retired is still an advisor in of the LUMIX digital camera line….”
- finalcutproes – LUMIX GH5S at night – Primer uso / First Use
- Gordon Laing – Panasonic Lumix GH5S review – first looks
- imagingresource – Panasonic GH5S Review: Is This the New King of Low Light?
- Jamie Hancock – Panasonic Lumix GH5S
- Jessops – Hands on with the GH5S
- Kai W – Panasonic GH5s – Not Worth The Upgrade?
- LUMIX Cameras – Introducing: The Panasonic LUMIX GH5S
- LUMIX Cameras – LUMIX GH5s: Horizons – “Shot by Jacob Schwarz / Mystery Box with LUMIX GH5S”
- LUMIX Cameras – LUMIX GH5S: Horizons BTS – “This BTS film is created by Griffin Hammond.”
- LUMIX Cameras – LUMIX GH5s: The Middle Path – “… by Luke Neumann (Neumann Films)”
- LUMIX Cameras – LUMIX GH5S: The Middle Path BTS – “This BTS film is created by Griffin Hammond.”
- Mathieu Gasquet – Panasonic Lumix GH5S – First Impressions Review
- Max Yuryev – GH5s ANNOUNCED! Pros & Cons of Panasonic’s GH5 S 🔴 Max Talks Live #4
- Neumannfilms – GH5s Low Light Tests
- Neumannfilms – Lumix GH5s | The Super Secret Project
- Nick Driftwood – Introducing the Panasonic Lumix GH5S
- Nick Driftwood – Comparison of Panasonic Lumix GH5S and the hybrid Lumix GH5
- Nick Driftwood – GH5S Driftwood LUTs – Skintones .1
- Osamu Hasegawa Films – Panasonic GH5S vs GH5｜Daylight comparison
- Osamu Hasegawa Films – Panasonic GH5S vs GH5｜High ISO comparison
- Osamu Hasegawa Films – Tokyo “Run and Gun”｜Panasonic GH5S – Low light shooting
- Panasonic Australia – LUMIX GH5S | What’s new
- Panasonic USA – CES 2018 Panasonic Press Conference
- PanasonicLumixVideo – Panasonic LUMIX GH5S – Variable Frame Rate (VFR) for Impressive Slow Motion –
- Park Cameras – Panasonic Lumix GH5S – Hands On First Look
- Personal View – Panasonic GH5S Detailed with Matt Frazer
- Photo by Richard – Panasonic Lumix GH5S Autofocus test (vs GH5)
- Photo by Richard – Review Panasonic Lumix GH5S – GH5’s twin brother with different personality?
- Photo by Richard – Panasonic Lumix GH5S – Shooting Slow Motion / Variable Frame Rate video
- Photo by Richard – Panasonic Lumix GH5S (firmware 1.0) Video Autofocus Test GH5S vs GH5 vs G9 vs G85
- Photogearnews – Panasonic LUMIX GH5S – First Look and differences to the GH5
- PhotoJoseph – GH5S vs GH5 Comparison ►Which One Is Right For You?
- ProAV TV – GH5s High ISO Test – Compared to the A7s II, EVA1 & GH5
- ProAV TV – Panasonic GH5s – Hands on
- Roms Prod – NYC – Night York City (Lumix-GH5s)
- Romsprod – NYC – Night York City (Lumix-GH5s)
- slashcam – Test: Panasonic GH5S vs GH5: Lowlight, Skintones, Autofocus, Slowmotion
- TekThing – Testing the Panasonic Lumix GH5S During CES Blackout at CES 2018 – one of the very few videos or articles by a female, Shannon Morse, showing the GH5S’ low-light capability off during a blackout at CES 2018.
- TheCameraStoreTV – TCSTV Live: Introducing the Panasonic GH5S with Tyler Knight
- Three Blind Men and An Elephant Productions – Panasonic GH5S Takes On Sony a7S II? Another Not-So-Secret Convo with Panasonic’s Sean Robinson
- Wex Photo Video – Panasonic LUMIX GH5S | Hands-On Field Test in Slovenia
Help support ‘Untitled’
Clicking on these affiliate links and purchasing through them helps us continue our work for ‘Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success’.
- Angelbird 64GB AV Pro UHS-II SDXC Memory Card – B&H
- Angelbird 128GB AV Pro UHS-II SDXC Memory Card – B&H
- Angelbird 256GB Match Pack for the Panasonic EVA1 – B&H – special promotional packaging of two Angelbird 128GB AV Pro UHS-II SDXC memory cards that are just as usable in other cameras than the AU-EVA1 that also have UHS-II SD card slots.
- Angelbird Atomos Master Caddy 4K RAW (500GB) – B&H
- Angelbird Atomos Master Caddy 4K RAW (1TB) – B&H
- Atomos Ninja Inferno 7″ 4K HDMI Recording Monitor – B&H
- Atomos Shogun Inferno 7″ 4K HDMI/Quad 3G-SDI/12G-SDI Recording Monitor – B&H
- Atomos SUMO19M 19″ HDR/High-Brightness Monitor – B&H
- Atomos Sumo 19″ HDR/High Brightness Monitor Recorder – B&H
- Panasonic 128GB UHS-II SDXC Memory Card – B&H
- Panasonic DMW-BGGH5 Battery Grip – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5S Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera – B&H