… XF16-80mm f/4
- XF16-80mm f/4 is going to be an all in one beautiful lens, great for stills and video
- coming later this year [September]…
- Billy loves images with blown out background, and subjects to stand out, hence he brings prime lenses. Prime lenses also are sharper
- Often Billy does not bring a zoom lens
- Slowing down with primes, gets him more keepers
- with zoom lenses he tends to get too lazy, just stand, zoom, and snap images
- He would sacrifice primes to get 1 zoom for long hikes or so
- He looks forward to XF16-80. Sharp lens, great all-rounder…
- Zoom lenses can make things “easy”, but if you stick to constantly choose the frame, to work on the picture, you can get great images with zooms
- If you struggle to find your frame, set your zoom to one focal length, and shoot only with that, so you start to take pictures more consciously…
Although I am primarily a prime lens user in whichever camera system and sensor size, zoom lenses containing just the right focal lengths are invaluable when the two-camera, two-primes solution or swapping prime lenses from camera to bag and back again is out of the question when shooting documentary video and stills in fast-moving and intensive, highly immersive situations.
The Fujinon XF 16-80mm f/4.0 R OIS WR for Fujifilm’s APS-C/Super 35 cameras and the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Summilux 10-25mm f/1.7 Aspheric for M43/Super 16 cameras including those made by Blackmagic Design, Olympus and Panasonic are two such zoom lenses and both have been highly anticipated since their in-development announcements a while ago.
Fuji Guy Billy is a respected in-house commentator on Fujifilm’s hardware and firmware, and it is reassuring to read his own assessment of the Fujinon XF 16-80mm f/4.0 R OIS W, supported by videos featuring photographers working in different genres while using the lens.
I look forward to the Fujinon XF 16-80mm f/4.0 R OIS W’s arrival in-store and into the hands of well-qualified independent reviewers soon.
Fujifilm Fujinon XF 16-80mm f/4.0 R OIS WR
- DPReview – Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 R OIS WR to arrive in September for $800
- Fuji Rumors – Fuji Guy Billy: APS-C Crop Factor Cheating? :: f/2 X Mount Zoom Lenses? :: Fast G Mount Lenses Potentially Coming :: And More
- FujiLove – FujiLove Podcast 44 – Billy Luong
- Fujifilm X – FUJINON XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR
- FUJIFILMglobal – Chris Upton x XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR / FUJIFILM – video
- FUJIFILMglobal – Huseyin Aldirmaz x XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR / FUJIFILM – video, lens used for travel and street photography on a Fujifilm X-Pro2 digital rangefinder camera, my first choice for documentary photography.
- FUJIFILMglobal – Jens Burger x XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR / FUJIFILM – video
- FUJIFILMglobal – Pierluigi Orler x XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR / FUJIFILM – video
- FUJIFILMglobal – Rafa Pérez x XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR / FUJIFILM – video
- FUJIFILMglobal – Xtra Turbo: Scott Grant x XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR – Fly Fishing / FUJIFILM – video
- jonasrask|photography – Fujinon XF 16-80mm f/4 R OIS WR first look preview – “The optical image stabiliser is the real show stopper with this lens. Fujifilm is promising a 6 stop OIS. But not only that, the OIS actually detect[s] when you put the camera on a tripod, and adjusts accordingly. Very nice feature to have.”
Help support ‘Untitled’
- FUJIFILM XF 16-80mm f/4 R OIS WR Lens – B&H