“… FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) will release new firmware updates for the FUJIFILM X-T3 (“X-T3”) X Series digital camera in April.
[ FUJIFILM X-T3 Ver. 3.00: April 2019 ]
1．Strengthened the accuracy of face / eye detection AF performance
The AF algorithm has been improved along with the accuracy of face / eye detection AF. The ability to detect faces in the distance has been enhanced by approximately 30% and AF tracking is now more stable, even when an obstacle appears in the way. The improvements in AF are applicable to both still photos and video recording.
2．New Face Select function
The Face Select function has been introduced to provide priority auto-focus, tracking and exposure on a selected subject when multiple faces have been detected. The priority face can be selected by using the touch screen or focus lever.
3．Faster AF speed for subjects at a distance
Thanks to the improved AF algorithm, faster AF speed is achieved when shooting from short to long distances (or vice versa).
4．Intuitive operation of touch screen
A Double Tap Setting and Touch Function has been added to the touch screen settings*. The two settings must be set to OFF to provide a better touch screen response. These new settings allow a more intuitive touch operation when shooting, AF and focus area select.
*By default, Touch Screen Setting, Double Tap Setting and Touch Function are set to all OFF.
For improved touch screen response, Touch Screen Setting must be set to ON.”
Autofocus is a feature I had assumed would be nice to have rather than crucial when I first got back into moviemaking and photography with hybrid digital cameras.
As time passed, and as autofocus steadily improved on the gear I was using through firmware updates and new camera models, I have come to see the utility value of autofocusing for stills photography and now, with the X-T3 having the best autofocus functionality for video yet of all the mirrorless cameras I have tried, it looks like it will be getting better again with April’s coming firmware update.
Improved face and eye detection is particularly welcome given I am in the process of getting back into portrait photography and manual focus with longer lenses and moving subjects does not always cut the mustard, as it were.
Help support ‘Untitled’
- 8Sinn camera cages – B&H
- Angelbird 256GBGB Match Pack (2 x 128GB) – B&H
- Angelbird AtomX SSDmini (1TB) – B&H
- Atomos Ninja V 5″ 4K HDMI Recording Monitor – B&H
- Atomos Handle Adapter for AtomX SSDmini (5-Pack) – B&H
- Aurora-Aperture variable ND filters – B&H
- Bluestar Eye Cushions – B&H
- Breakthrough Photography CPL, UV and ND filters – B&H
- Chiaro UV Filters – B&H
- Formatt-Hitech Firecrest fixed value ND filters – B&H
- Fujifilm CVR-XT3 Cover Kit – B&H
- Fujifilm EC-GFX Round Eyecup – B&H
- Fujifilm EC-XH Wide Eyecup – B&H
- Fujifilm EC-XT L Long Eye Cup – B&H
- Fujifilm EC-XT M Medium Eyecup – B&H
- Fujifilm EC-XT S Small Eyecup – B&H
- Fujifilm MHG-XT3 Metal Hand Grip – B&H
- Fujifilm NP-W126S Li-Ion Battery Pack – B&H
- Fujifilm VG-XT3 Vertical Battery Grip – B&H
- Fujifilm Fujinon XF Lenses – B&H
- Fujifilm X-T3 Mirrorless Digital Camera – B&H
- LockCircle camera cages – B&H
- MindShift Grea and Think Tank Photo camera bags and accessories – B&H
- Peak Design camera straps – B&H
- Phase One Capture One Pro – B&H
- Røde video microphones – B&H
- Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon EF – B&H – can be adapted for Fujifilm X-mount cameras via third-party manual and autofocus smart adapters.
- SLR Magic variable ND Filters – B&H – SLR Magic was reputed to be working on a collection of fixed value ND filters though they do not seem to have appeared at B&H yet.
- SmallRig camera cages – B&H
- Sony 128GB M Series UHS-II SDXC Memory Card Kit (2-Pack) – B&H