“John Brawley shares his experiences with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. ‘Models Walking at Night’ is his second camera test where he was checking out the camera’s higher dynamic range and color accuracy.
“What I wanted to achieve was to test the dynamic range, but to still come up with some really great looking images. Having that higher dynamic range and a high bit depth file, means you have a lot of wriggle-room to correct anything that needs to be balanced. This extra range lets you manage and massage the image to get you into a really nice place. You’re not fighting the codec or the dynamic range of the camera.”
“The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K gives you a ton of options. If you want to take it warmer, darker or cooler, you now have so much latitude in terms of dynamic range and depth of color. With this camera you just have so much extra choice, because you can take the image whereever you want. And that’s the truly great thing about having such a vibrant and high precision image!”“
This is the second in a series of three videos by Australian Director of Photography John Brawley that explore some of the capabilities of Australian-based Blackmagic Design’s Blackmagic Pockets Cinema Camera 4K, due for release sometime later this year.
Mr Brawley is an exponent of the benefits of shooting video in Micro Four Thirds, and has an extensive collection of Olympus M43 lenses.
In this series of videos, he is using various lenses from the Olympus M.Zuiko Pro collection to great effect, not so hard to do given the manual clutch focus mechanism on these lenses for easier focus pulling and pinpoint manual focus accuracy.
- 8Sinn – Supported Cameras – Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
- Lock Circle – Hipock, the Pocket 4K Camera Cage
- News Shooter – Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K – ‘Models walking in daylight’
- News Shooter – First official video from the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K released
- Olympus Global – M.Zuiko Pro
- SmallRig – SmallRig Cage for Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K 2203
Header image concept and hack by Carmel D. Morris.
Help support ‘Untitled’
- Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K – B&H
- Blackmagic Design Mini XLR Cable for Video Assist/4K (Set of 2, 19.5″) – B&H
- Breakthrough Photography – B&H – the finest brass traction-framed ND, UV and CPL filters as well as the best step-up rings (sadly only sold direct on the company’s own website at present).
- Chiaro Premium UV Protection Filters – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 17mm f/1.2 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.2 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f/4 IS PRO Lens – B&H