“John Brawley talks about the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K for the first time. ‘Models Walking in Daylight’ is his first camera test where he checked out the camera’s ability to handle different skin tones.
“The whole point to this daylight test was to see how the camera handled skin tones. We were shooting these scenes later in the afternoon, so I was at ISO1000 or 1250, so it was at the lower ISO for this camera. I understand this gives more in dynamic range, so you have a little bit more highlight-headroom there. When I look at those shots now, I am really impressed at how good the dynamic range is. It is great to see all of that detail I was seeing was actually captured in those shots.”
“I don’t think people realize how easy it is to make things look cinematic with Micro Four Thirds! I know that there are a lot of people who like that 35mm full frame look, but it’s still very easy to get images with an out of focus background with the Micro Four Thirds sensor. I found it a great 4K sensor and really good compromise for a small camera that still gets really, really good looking pictures.”“
This is the first in a series of three videos by Australian Director of Photography John Brawley that explore some of the capabilities of Australian-based Blackmagic Design’s Blackmagic Pockets Cinema Camera 4K, due for release sometime later this year.
Mr Brawley is an exponent of the benefits of shooting video in Micro Four Thirds, and has an extensive collection of Olympus M43 lenses.
In this series of videos, he is using various lenses from the Olympus M.Zuiko Pro collection to great effect, not so hard to do given the manual clutch focus mechanism on these lenses for easier focus pulling and pinpoint manual focus accuracy.
- 8Sinn – Supported Cameras – Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
- Lock Circle – Hipock, the Pocket 4K Camera Cage
- News Shooter – Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K – ‘Models walking in daylight’
- News Shooter – First official video from the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K released
- Olympus Global – M.Zuiko Pro
- SmallRig – SmallRig Cage for Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K 2203
Header image concept and hack by Carmel D. Morris.
Help support ‘Untitled’
Clicking on these affiliate links and purchasing through them helps us continue our work for ‘Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success’.
- Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K – B&H
- Blackmagic Design Mini XLR Cable for Video Assist/4K (Set of 2, 19.5″) – B&H
- Breakthrough Photography – B&H – the finest brass traction-framed ND, UV and CPL filters as well as the best step-up rings (sadly only sold direct on the company’s own website at present).
- Chiaro Premium UV Protection Filters – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 17mm f/1.2 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.2 PRO Lens – B&H
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f/4 IS PRO Lens – B&H