“… Ultimately this documentary is about how a tool has helped democratize movie making. It is also a product of what it preaches. Final Cut Pro X does empower storytellers and that message was what made me passionate enough to take all the time and energy to make this documentary. It’s a real meta sort of thing.…”
A confession: when I first cracked open Final Cut Pro X in its first iteration, I felt at home with it and its magnetic timeline concept in a way I never had with more conventional NLE products including Final Cut Pro.
In 2011 Apple ended Final Cut Pro as we knew it and started over with a brand new video editing application: Final Cut Pro X. The disruption from this change is still being felt by the film, television, and video industries to this day.
With misinformation running amok, Off The Tracks aims to clear the air once and for all.
This documentary features exclusive interviews with the creative professionals who use the software and the developers who created it. Why did Apple make Final Cut Pro X?
- Apple – Final Cut Pro X, A more powerful take on post-production
- CoreMelt – Australian software developer Roger Bolton’s excellent collection of essential plug-ins is the first thing I install into FCPX when setting up a new production machine.
- fcp.co – Off the Tracks, the Film about Final Cut Pro X, Is Now Available to Download
- Kickstarter – Off the Tracks – A Documentary about Final Cut Pro X
- OFF [THE] TRACKS
- Pro Video Coalition – The Color Grading Environment and Ideal Lume Bias Lights, Lighting for Color Grading
- The Beat – Go Inside a Professional Color Grading Suite
- The Beat – The Basics of Building a Color Correction Suite
- VHX – Off the Tracks
Help support ‘Untitled’
Clicking on these affiliate links and purchasing through them helps us continue our work for ‘Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success’.
- Apple 15.4″ MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Mid 2018, Space Gray) – B&H
- Apple 27″ iMac Pro with Retina 5K Display (Late 2017) – B&H
- BenQ PV270 27″ 16:9 Rec.709 / DCI-P3 Color Accurate IPS Monitor – B&H
- Datacolor Calibration – B&H
- Eizo Monitors – B&H
- Flanders Scientific Inc. – B&H – although movie editors and color graders regard FSI monitors as the best there are, bizarrely B&H does not appear to stock the monitors themselves but only the accessories for them. I hope that this changes soon. Check out the FSI Solutions MediaLight 6500K Bias Light products for lighting your workstation area with light that will not throw your colour judgement seriously out of whack.
- G-Technology HDDS and SSDs – B&H
- GTI Standard Gray Neutral N8 Vinyl Latex Paint (1 Gallon) – B&H – “Standard Neutral Gray Munsell N8,
Made for the Photo and Graphic Industry, Used in Color Viewing Areas, Water-Reducible Vinyl Latex Paint, Eliminates Simultaneous Color Contrast, Reduces Color Pollution of Viewing Area”
- HP DreamColor Monitors – B&H
- LaCie Drives – B&H
- LG Monitors – B&H
- Promise Technology Drives – B&H
- Wacom Tablets – B&H
- X-Rite ColorCheckers and Profilers – B&H