German cinematographer turned entrepreneur Dedo Weigert gave a public presentation on his dedolight and Tecpro lighting systems at the Australian Film, Television and Radio School at Moore Park next to the Fox Studios complex on Friday, March 16 2018.
I was lucky enough to attend and learned a great deal about the many lighting products and innovations of this amazing cinematographer and his company.
Dedo Weigert presentation at AFTRS in Sydney on Friday 16 March 2018
I am not entirely a stranger to Dedo Weigert’s products.
When I was getting back into video with the advent of the then groundbreaking Canon EOS 5D Mark II, I went looking for suitable lights to use with it.
I had owned and used a range of movie lights during my analog days, including those made by Lowel and Ianiro.
I even owned several old fresnel lights whose brand name escapes me.
The original version of the Dedolight Ledzilla caught my eye on a visit to a movie industry supplier in Artarmon as a possible on-camera LED light, but they could only sell me the light itself minus AC adapter or battery pack.
Instead I picked up a couple of Tecpro Fillini AA-battery-powered LED mini panel lights for more general use and they still come in handy for less demanding uses.
Later I invested in circular LED lights made by Rotolight for stills and video but still miss focusable lights with barndoors for their ability to shape light with more versatility and fine control than panel lights permit, whether square or circular.
The Dedolight 3-light kits look excellent but even one focussing, dimmable LED light with accessories such as barndoors, mains power supply, battery and battery shoe, would be a terrific supplement to my Rotolight kit.
The problem now is to work out just which Dedolight is the right one for me.
Is there a showroom where I can see and try before I buy, and an online reference to help work out which will be the most powerful yet most portable and affordable Dedolight that will fulfil my needs?
While the Dedo Weigert GmbH company website looks like it contains most of the information I need, buried somewhere in there, it has a look and usability that dates back to before 1997 and badly needs a complete rebuild for the modern age.
- Dedo Weigert GmbH – website
- DedoWeigertFilm – YouTube channel
- Ianiro – Ianiro Design PDF – the company itself is now defunct but the brand has been revived by others to make indoor lighting products rather than movie lighting.
- Lemac – imports, rents and retails Dedo Weigert lighting products in Australia.
- Movie Machine by Rick Young – documentary cinematographer and longtime proponent of Dedo Weigert’s lighting solutions, author and publisher of Dedo Weigert Cinematographer.
- Movie Machine by Rick Young – Dedo Weigert Cinematographer – free PDF edition of the book
- Movie Machine by Rick Young – Dedolight
Help support ‘Untitled’
Clicking on and purchasing through these affiliate links helps us continue our work for ‘Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success’.