Australian cinematographer/director Paul Leeming has issued the version 502 update to his unified corrective LUT (Look Up Table) system Leeming LUT One for the Panasonic Lumix GH5 and its three major video picture profiles, HLG, V-Log L and Cinelike D.
The Leeming LUT One system was developed in order to help cinematographers obtain the best image quality from their cameras by providing custom settings and LUTs to maximize dynamic range while minimizing noise and other artefacts such as banding and YUV chroma smearing.
Mr Leeming advises cinematographers to adhere to the expose-to-the-right aka ETTR principle, which he demonstrates in his website.
He has produced Leeming LUT One custom settings and LUTs for cameras including those made by Canon, DJI, GoPro, JVC, Panasonic, Sony with potential support for cameras made by Fujifilm, Digital Bolex and Samsung should there be sufficient demand.
Panasonic Lumix GH5 HLG Footage and Leeming LUT One for HLG, Before and After
Still frames from GH5 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 HLG footage exposed using ETTR, the ‘Leeming LUT One – Panasonic HLG v502.cube’ applied followed by ‘Leeming LUT Quickie – Basic Balanced v2.cube’ from ‘Leeming LUT Quickies 1 version 2’.
Mr Leeming will be updating his free ‘Leeming LUT Quickies’ collection soon to reflect the improvements made to the most recent version of Leeming LUT One for Panasonic cameras.
Our recent weather has been heavily hit by the effects of extreme climate change and global warming, and we have experienced few pristine Sydney summer days with their classic cobalt skies for some time now.
With many skies almost becoming high ultra-violet light boxes, the excellent highlight roll-off of the HLG profile in the GH5 is becoming even more important, and Leeming LUT One for HLG does a great job of maintaining the original look and feel of a scene while preserving realistic colour and especially skin colour.
Initial grading as in these still frames provides a good starting point that can be further enhanced with some of the many creative aka looks LUTs or analog film simulation being made available by a range of LUTs makers.
- Leeming LUT One
- Leeming LUT One – How to Shoot Using ETTR Principles
- Leeming LUT One – Leeming LUT One Installation & Usage – PDF
- Leeming LUT One – Leeming LUT One Panasonic Camera Setup – PDF
- Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success – How to Make the X-T2 a Credible Filmmaking Camera, A Letter to Fujifilm from Paul Leeming
Header image concept and hack by Carmel D. Morris.
Help support ‘Untitled’
Clicking on these affiliate links helps us continue our work for ‘Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success’.
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera – B&H
- Panasonic DMW-BGGH5 Battery Grip – B&H
- Panasonic V-Log L Function Activation Code for DMC-GH4, DC-GH5, and DMC-FZ2500 – B&H
- Atomos Ninja Inferno 7″ 4K HDMI Recording Monitor and accessories – B&H