“New HDR Functionality recording with HLG. See the HDR video on Panasonic site at: https://youtu.be/ju35M4gnDBE…
… HLG has similar gamma characteristics to SDR in dark range (processing in blacks similar to BT.709 below 100 nits), then changes to a log gamma above ~14 nits. Extends log processing of displays high brightness peaks up to 2.5 to 3 stops to mitigate blown-out or clipped whites. Can be displayed unprocessed on an SDR screen as EOTF adjusts system gamma to correct for viewing environment (10 to 500 nits) Does not require scene mastered metadata unlike PQ (HDR10) or Dolby Vision. Is best for Live production and fast turnaround HDR as you don’t need to grade too much if you’ve exposed to use the extra display stops correctly….
WORKFLOW: I output on a Mac to Pro Rez 422 10-bit (you can use any 10-bit or lossless package on your computer)Iand then recoded to bring the size down and add flags using HEVC. I used FFMPEG which is freely available to Windows, Mac and Linux users to code my HEVC files and to add the necessary HLG and Rec2020 flags which will trigger HDR TVs to play automatically the content in HLG. Here’s an example command line (make sure you download the 10-bit version of x265lib. Mac users should download Homebrew to install a compile.;-
ffmpeg -y -i /Volume/Drive/Inputfilenamel.mov -c:v libx265 -x265-params level=5.1:vbv-bufsize=60000:vbv-maxrate=60000:crf=20 -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -preset fast -color_primaries bt2020 -colorspace bt2020_ncl -color_trc arib-std-b67 -c:a aac -b:a 128k /Volume/Drive/Export_filename.mp4…”
- Ali Kubba – Panasonic Lumix GH5 NEW Firmware 2.0 4K 400mbps All-I + HDR HLG | Greenwich Park | Barbican, London
- Apple – Apple ProRes White Paper April 2017 – PDF
- Lumix Cameras – Panasonic LUMIX GH5 4K HDR – ISOBEL BY Nick Driftwood
- LUMIX UK – ISOBEL | Nick Driftwood | LUMIX GH5 – video shot with LUMIX GH5 in HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma).
- Media Division – Test – GH5 Firmware 2.0 – “Quick test of the brand new GH5 firmware 2.0. We are looking into the 6K 4:3 Anamorphic mode, test the 400mbps All-Intra codec vs ProRes HQ, and try, if non “V” Cards can sustain write speeds to cover the 400mbps codec.”
- Panasonic Australia – OLED 4K Ultra HD TV TH-65EZ1000U – appears to be the 65-inch Australian version of the Panasonic HLG UHD OLED reference TV set mentioned by Nick Driftwood.
- Panasonic Australia – OLED 4K Ultra HD TV TH-77EZ1000U – appears to be the 77-inch Australian version of the Panasonic HLG UHD OLED reference TV set mentioned by Nick Driftwood.
- Panasonic UK – 65″ Ultra HD 4K Pro HDR OLED Television – TX-65EZ1002B – the television to which Nick Driftwood refers in his video.
- slashcam – Panasonic GH5 Firmware 2.0 (final): Autofocus, ALL-I, Hybrid Log Gamma
Help support ‘Untitled’
Clicking on these affiliate links helps us continue our work for ‘Untitled: Stories of Creativity, Innovation, Success’.
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera (Body Only) – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 8-18mm Lens Kit – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 12-35mm Lens Kit – B&H
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 12-60mm Lens – B&H
- Panasonic DMW-BGGH5 Battery Grip – B&H
- Panasonic V-Log L Function Activation Code for DMC-GH4, DC-GH5, and DMC-FZ2500 – B&H
- Atomos Ninja Inferno 7″ 4K HDMI Recording Monitor and accessories – B&H
- LG UHD Smart OLED HLG HDR HDR10 Dolby Vision TVs – B&H – B&H Photo Video does not currently stock Panasonic televisions but right now I am deciding whether to invest in one of these LGs or a similarly-specced Panasonic.