March has been declared Women’s History Month, celebrated in Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States, while International Women’s Day is celebrated on 8th March. In Sydney, International Women’s Day is commemorated with the Sydney International Women’s Day March and Rally in Hyde Park, held this year on Saturday 11th March between 10am and 12noon.
Female photographers at the Women’s March in Sydney, January 2017
I will be there this Saturday and attended the event last year, photographing the gathering and march from Hyde Park down Macquairie Street with my trusty Fujifilm Finepix X100. The day was hot and bright, while this Saturday may be dark, cold and wet.
Meanwhile, Time magazine has published Women in Photography: 34 Voices From Around the World, noting that “March is Women’s History Month and in the current political and social climate, it’s never been more critical for us to have a woman’s visual perspective.”
There are no Australian female photographers in Time‘s list of “34 women photographers to follow right now”. Grrr.
- B&H Photo Video – Women of Influence
- Her Side of the Street
- Independent – How 100,000 Russian women helped create International Women’s Day 100 years ago
- Professional Women Photographers
- Street It! Women Street Photography
- Time – How the World Celebrated International Women’s Day 2017
- Time – Women in Photography: 34 Voices From Around the World
- Time – Women Photographers Are Being Written Out of the War Narrative
- Women in Photography
- Women of Street Photography world map
- Women Photograph