Social media has a habit of recycling old news as if it were new news, so little surprise that SheDoc, the joint initiative between Screen NSW and the Documentary Australia Foundation, has appeared on news feeds just as its applications deadline of March 1st looms.
SheDoc was launched in November 2016 and is a joint initiative of Documentary Australia Foundation and Screen NSW with the support of Røde Microphones.
This initiative is not before its time, given I have witnessed and experienced discrimination for being the wrong person from the wrong side of the tracks for decades now. With luck, female documentary moviemakers who have been unable to break through the glass ceiling may begin to start seeing some cracks appear.
SheDoc’s aim is to give 4 grants per year to:
- Encourage new voices.
- Enable skills to be consolidated or developed.
- Assist projects to be kickstarted.
- Assist in building strategic audience engagement strategies.
- Documentary Australia Foundation – [Apply to] SheDoc
- Documentary Australia Foundation – SheDoc, supporting women documentary filmmakers
- Røde Microphones
Header image concept and design by Carmel D. Morris.