This morning a mention on social media reminded me of the late, great but undervalued, almost forgotten, documentary photographer Tish Murtha.
Tish Murtha’s daughter Ella Murtha has inherited her mother’s estate and is now working on ensuring the legacy of one of the great British documentary photographers is not forgotten but is commemorated with exhibitions and the publication of her core body of work, Youth Unemployment.
- ChronicleLive – Newcastle’s West End in the 80s
- Instagram – tishmurtha
- Light Stalking – British Social Documentary Photographer “Tish” Murtha Documents the Lives of Marginalised Communities from the Inside
- Metro – Powerful photo series captures unemployed youths of Thatcher’s Britain
- The Guardian – That’s me in the picture: Glenn Murtha, 17, leaping out of a window in Newcastle, 1979
- The Official Website of Tish Murtha
- Wombat – Interview Ella Murtha
- Wombat – Portfolio No. 24, Tish Murtha